How-to guide: Engineering change process management
Changes are inevitable. Making those change doesn’t have to be a long, drawn-out process.
This ebook by Lifecycle Insights: “How do I accelerate the engineering change process,” outlines how you can:
- Manage changes from a centralized location with multi-track change processes.
- Track requirements from a single repository with automatic updates and change notifications.
- Visualize data across different domains for more informed decisions.
- Easily access requirements and design data in a secure manner.
Engineering change management best practices can be achieved with the right PLM software solution.
Engineering change process with tight deadlines
If you need a robust system to initiate, review, plan, and execute changes throughout the product design phase, learn how product lifecycle management (PLM) software can help.
Engineering change management software in PLM can help organizations large and small move through product development more quickly with fewer changes.
Whether it’s satisfying target requirements from a customer, coordinating with suppliers, or keeping up with development schedules, PLM software can help your engineering teams navigate the winding, ever-changing path of product design in a timely manner.
Using engineering change management software for multi-track change processes
Not all design changes are created equal.
Some alterations may be extensive and costly while others are only simple, inexpensive adjustments, but without a PLM solution in place, both types of changes are required to go through the same rigorous steps of approval.
Implementing a multi-track change approval process with PLM can modernize your entire engineering change process, shortening the product development phase while still meeting all the necessary requirements.
Visualizing the engineering change process
Today’s smart, connected products span multiple engineering disciplines, and as a result, most changes require validations across all domains.
It’s the job of engineering to ensure any alterations leave the product’s form, fit, and function intact.
Spreadsheets and screenshots of computer-aided design (CAD) models can deliver the information, but a modern PLM software solution provides a more complete and up-to-date representation of the entire project.
Additionally, any changes are automatically reflected in the bill of materials (BOM), giving manufacturing, procurement, finance, and sales a head start.
Cloud-based PLM solutions enable faster change management
Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) PLM via the cloud provides a solution capable of meeting the needs of large corporations and small to medium-sized businesses with plenty of benefits:
- Efficiency: Tailored solutions to meet specific needs
- Productivity: In-depth understanding of company workflow
- Fast implementation: Immediate access through a browser
- Distributed total ownership: Subscriptions don’t require a large, up-front technology investment
- Extended collaboration: Enable input from internal and external stakeholders
- Security: Intellectual property remains secure
SaaS PLM solutions are setting the standard for engineering change management best practices.
Get a free trial of SaaS PLM
Take a look at Teamcenter X and sign up for the free trial. See how easy it is to get started with a cost-effective engineering change management software solution within PLM.